Thursday, April 25, 2013

Victorian terrace - WIP4 - Brickwork finished and warp repairs, Scotty!

Well ANZAC day saw me raise a beer in the memory of out Gallant Servicemen, past and present, and I was happy to enjoy a day off in their honour...

A fairly dismal day on the weather front got me out of any garden duties, and with wife and kids all nursing the sniffles, no-one was particularly in a mood to do much, so I got back to the brickwork scoring.

I found my old etching tool I made a while back when I built the Weathertop model, which worked much better than the long steel pin I was using the other night.

The tool I had previously made with the handle from a kids old large craft paintbrush, into the end of which I drilled a hole and glued into place a short length of wire from an old wire clothes hanger  that I hand cut a piece from. I made a point at the end with an angle grinder.

So I had the Sherlock Holmes movies on back to back as I sat and scored and etched away... By the last gable end I was getting a bit tired of it all in one day and made an error on a set of score lines,...Greenstuff came to the rescue, and I pressed on to finish...


Having finished that, I made a start sorting the warped pieces, clamping them to a workbench and gluing a wide strip of MDF across the back. I'll leave this a good 24hrs to fully dry before taking the clamp off.


The rear frontage is also getting done at the same time, then I'll do the gable ends. While the front and back pieces are gluing, I have also taken the chance to glue into place the plastic for the glass window panes... more pics to follow...

The rest of the day, was back to painting my FoW German pioneers. They did quite well in their first outing, but sadly the rest of my force was not best positioned to exploit the hole they made... ah well, maybe next time... 

12 comments:

  1. nice progress. Hope the family get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon getting there slowly, as are family thanks, just keeping them dosed up with paracetamol and ibuprofen does the trick...

      Delete
  2. When my family are ill they all become drama queens and I spend my time running around after them. "Get me orange juice, get me tissues, get me chocolate cheesecake" etc. I'd never get time to scribe hundreds of bricks!

    Yours are coming along nicely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah I know what you mean. Luckily for me, mine were happy to curl up on the couch under a blanket for the day with a movie on ...

      Delete
  3. I went back and read your last post as I want to keep up with this project. The patience you must have to do all that brick work. Where does it come from? It would be nice if you could make a mold for yourself of these exteriors so you could use them in future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, it was a little mind numbing... patience, hmmm... I used to go fishing a fair bit... sitting staring at a float for hours upon end, and hoping you might get a bite to relieve the boredom?

    I have wondered about molds and casting but havent really got a clue where to start with that... it would be useful as I am going to need multiple sections of terraced street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molds is definitely the way to go if you're looking to produce multiple pieces quickly. Nice progress there Scott and hope you all get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to explore this more... not sure where to start though...

      Delete
  6. Hi Scott,

    I'm really curious how this first building will turn out. It look so promising!
    However if you plan to cover a whole board you should find a way to simplify the building process...

    Cheers
    Monty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know... I knew the brick work was going to be a pain in the posterior... but other than buying some form of brick sheets, which gets expensive I can't think of much else...
      If I could find a suitable form of dense foam which would be available in suitably thin sheets to work with readily that would scribe a brick pattern easily that would speed things up too...

      Delete
  7. looking forward to seeing if finished,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting there slowly... more warp fixing at the moment, the gable ends are terrible as they have warped in two directions... I'll certainly be completing the MDF structure first next time before cladding with clay... though that will probably then make scribing the bricks even more of a hassle...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...